Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re a fan of the day or not, I think we can all agree that it’s a great chance to celebrate those you are thankful for in your life. Plus, I personally love any reason to celebrate, not to mention put up decorations and bake something festive. So any opportunity to throw colorful sprinkles on things is a win win!!
My family are big eaters of popcorn. Like BIG! I can’t tell you how much popcorn we pop, but between our four sons and my husband, I need to start buying kernels in bulk. So when it came to thinking up a fun Valentine’s Day treat, popcorn with a Valentine’s Day spin just seemed right.
This Valentine’s Day popcorn mix can be made any way you like it – pretzels, marshmallows, your favorite M&M’s flavor, nuts, sprinkles, you name it. I like a little salty and sweet so pretzels and M&M’s (chocolate and peanut butter because they’re awesomely delicious) so we went with that variety, and with some colorful sprinkles and melted white chocolate, it’s winning combination.
This mix is so easy to make, and my boys especially liked helping (as well as eating along the way) and putting them in bags. These cute labels are easy to make and glue on to any paper you’d like. Tie the bags with ribbon or string and these Valentine’s Day popcorn mix bags make a great treat to pass out to neighbors, teachers, friends, and family.
Happy Valentine’s Day, friends! I hope your day is surrounded by those you love.
Valentine's Day Popcorn Mix
- 6 cups cooked popcorn about ½ cup uncooked kernels
- 2 cups mini pretzels or sticks/regular size broken into pieces
- 2 cups M&M's any variety, preferably holiday colors
- pinch ground sea salt
- 10-12 oz bag white chocolate candy melts white or pink colored
- sprinkles holiday colors and shapes
- Prepare or open your bag of popcorn and pour into an extra large mixing bowl. Add in M&M's, pretzels, and a pinch of sea salt. Mix to combine.
- Using a double boiler, melt the white chocolate. This method may take longer but allows for a smoothly melted white chocolate. ***See notes below for a photo of the method. If you'd rather use the microwave, heat the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl at 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring in between heating.
- Pour half of the melted white chocolate over the bowl of popcorn mix. Using a rubber spatula, mix to combine.
- Spread out a long sheet of wax paper and pour the popcorn mixture in a flat layer. Drizzle the remaining white chocolate over the popcorn and pour sprinkles evenly over the popcorn.
- Let the white chocolate harden. Once the popcorn mix has hardened completely, break apart and store in a sealed container or separate into small treat bags to share with your friends and family.